Day in history for June 20, 2004

1854 -- 150 years ago
Hon. Winslow S. Pierce, formerly a resident of Rock Island, and late Comptroller of California, is now on a visit to this place and stops with his old friend Maj. Barrett of the Rock Island House.

1879 -- 125 years ago
A mammoth arm chair is now on exhibition at G.A. Doellinger's, 2nd Avenue, Rock Island, which was made for Capt. Bates, the giant with Cole's Circus.

1904 -- 100 years ago
A valuable piece of Rock Island property has changed hands, it being the property of Mrs. Emma Nourse, who sold the tract of land between 11th and 12th avenues and extending from 19th to 27th streets to Rufus Walker.

1929 -- 75 years ago
The Rock Island professional baseball team has now lost 12 games in a row. New players are being signed.

1954 -- 50 years ago
The Rock Island Lines has ordered a lightweight, high-speed passenger train of ''a new and revolutionary type.'' The announcement said the Rock Island is the first railroad in this country to order such a train.

1979 -- 25 years ago
Haggard Moline aldermen early this morning shelved plans to close a fire station and phase out three firefighter and two police department positions. The six-hour special council session ended about 1 a.m. after aldermen sliced $84,000, mainly from public works projects, to come up with the money to keep those items in the city's fiscal 1979-80 budget.

Back: Available days in June 2004




Local events heading








 

(More History)