Day in history for June 19, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- On the day the great excursion party was here Spencer And Robinson generously charged no fares on the ferry John Wilson.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Three hundred tramps are expected to reach Rock Island tonight. Posses have been organized at several towns to protect citizens against the army of unemployed men who take over freight trains and at times pillage farms, taking whatever they wish.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island County is willing and is now waiting for the Henry County to agree to share in the building of a bridge over Rock River, which divides the two counties. A site for the bridge has not been determined.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- The wife of Major General Douglas MacArthur, noted army officer, has divorced him in Reno, Nevada.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Petitions were in circulation among Rock Island shippers urging the Rock Island Lines to cancel any plans for reduction of personnel or removal of the freight service office in Rock Island.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Jake Bonte was presented a specially made Colt pistol commemorating his 45 years of service with Cherry's Sporting Goods in Geneseo. Robert Cherry made the presentation during a dinner at The Cellar restaurant for Cherry family members and company employees in observance of the firm's 50th anniversary. The pistol features custom engraving, gold inlays and carved ivory stocks.
Back: Available days in June 2004