Day in history for June 18, 2004

1854 -- 150 years ago
Surviving soldiers of the War of 1812 and of the Indian wars prior thereto have been called to meet in Aurora July 4 to discuss government pensions for themselves.

1879 -- 125 years ago
The Young America Hotel opposite the courthouse has been renamed the ''Occidental,'' by High West, who says he will run it first class.

1904 -- 100 years ago
Mrs. James M. Buford, wife of a Rock Island Bank president, died in her home at 1117 2nd Ave. She came to Rock Island from Kentucky as Mr. Buford's bride in 1857.

1929 -- 75 years ago
Carl A. McGrew, 19, Rock Island, drowned while fishing at Krueger's Island, near Milan.

1954 -- 50 years ago
Roy Anderson, 932 33rd Ave., Rock Island, reported today that he and two other workmen at the Farmall Works of International Harvester Co., last night saw what they believed to be a meteor which burned out just before striking the earth and may have gone into the Mississippi River.

1979 -- 25 years ago
An era has ended in Moline. The Sixth Avenue Recreation Center, which served bowlers in the community since 1913, has closed its doors. The lease on the building was running out, so owners Wick Armstrong and Lloyd Moseley decided to close what could be described as a downtown institution. It was not an easy decision. Armstrong and Moseley operated the Sixth Avenue facility for 29 years.

Back: Available days in June 2004

Local events heading

  (More History)