Day in history for June 14, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Davenport is making extensive arrangements for a Fourth of July celebration. Last year the celebration was held in Rock Island. The plan for alternate observance of the Fourth in these twin cities should be continued.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- A small green insect of the aphid order is destroying corn in the Geneseo vicinity. A swarm of such insects attacks a corn hill and sucks the young corn dry.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Conductors and motormen of the Tri-City Railway Co. have completed erection of a clubhouse on Vandruff's Island in Rock River. The 39 members and their families will use the place as a pleasure resort.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- The Augustana Lutheran Synod voted to convene in Rock Island in 1930.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Sale of the old Coaltown School was announced by the Moline Board of Education after a public auction in which C.H. Hardesty, who owns farmland in the area, was high bidder with an offer of $5,000. The school is more than 100 years old. A new school, named the Katherine Butterworth School, will be built in the area.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Robert Verstraete was asking for a little more sleep on Sunday mornings. The bells at Trinity Lutheran Church near his home in Coal Valley are preventing that, he told village board members. The board approved a motion to write a letter to the church property committee, asking them to reduce the volume of the bells.
Back: Available days in June 2004