Day in history for May 29, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Fifteen thousand believers in spiritual manifestations have petitioned congress to investigate spiritual rappings and learn for itself that unseen, occult forces may be contacted.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Island County voters are asked to rally behind Judge George W. Pleasants for re-election as circuit judge. Henry County is reported to be making strong efforts to defeat him.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Illinois Medical Society has selected Rock Island as the site for its convention in 1905.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Colonel Charles A. Lindbergh, the Atlantic flier, and his bride, the former Anne Morrow, left on a secret flying honeymoon.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- An Air Force jet bomber pilot, Capt. Frank Henss, came home to Moline last week to relax, eat his mother's cooking and play golf. Two months ago he was steering his B-47 bomber on a non-stop flight from England to March Field, Calif., at 500 miles an hour, and upwards of 35,000 feet above the sea. Henss is the son of Mr. and Mrs. A.R. Henss, 2306 19th Ave.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- A newly formed ``Citizens Committee for a New Jail'' is planning an advertising blitz and a telephone campaign in an attempt to convince Rock Island County residents that a new jail is needed. County voters go to polls next Tuesday to decide whether to issue $7 million in bonds to finance construction of the proposed new lockup.
Back: Available days in May 2004