Day in history for May 19, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- The newest and most fashionable pantaloons are of light grey, with the castle of Heidelberg in blue on one leg and Mount Vesuvius in green and erupting fire, on the other. Neat and not gaudy.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Commencement exercises of the Rock Island High School graduating class of 1879 will take place June 10. Since Ben Harper is considerably interested in educational matters, he probably will permit the use of his elegant opera house for the ceremony.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- After Rock Island has raised a fund of $3,000 and had made all preparations for a state convention of Spanish-American War veterans, the convention is called off. The consolidation of three veterans societies in the state had led to a wrangle among officers. No convention is planned for 1904 now.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- The Augustana Observer won first place in Illinois for excellent among college newspapers.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Somebody's skull, dug up Sunday at a Rock River camp, was the subject of much speculation today at the Rock Island County Sheriff's office. A spading fork turned up the skull at the camp of Miss Dorothy Loeser on Rock River at 30th Street, Rock Island.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- East Moline firefighters estimate damages at $150,000 in the fire that destroyed the interior of Cindy's Restaurant, 42nd Avenue and Kennedy Drive, Monday.
Back: Available days in May 2004