Day in history for May 14, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- A new post office has been established at Booth's in Rock Island County and is called Mercia. George W. Booth has been appointed postmaster. Copper Creek post office has been moved from Mercer County to this county, and David Murdock appointed postmaster.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Charitable ladies of Rock Island will continue their industrial schools, where on Saturdays poor girls are taught how to make their own clothing. At times there are 125 pupils.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- The Rev. C.E. Hoffsten and his Chicago bride of last week were welcomed by members of Grace Lutheran Church, 7th Avenue and 44th Street, Rock Island.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- John Gamble, 87, Moline, a veteran of the Civil War, died. For 40 years he was a guard at the Moline bridge to Rock Island Arsenal.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Ten days work was done in 48 hours as The Argus changed to new type and size. Credit herewith is given to the Robert Rote Company, Rock Island, which successfully accomplished the job along with a Chicago press erector of the Goss Press Company and Argus employees. Because of their work, readers of The Argus now read a newspaper that offers the most modern type faces and proportioned page size.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Project Now has bought Our Lady of Guadalupe's old parish hall, 132 4th St., Silvis, and plans to turn the historic building into a community center.
Back: Available days in May 2004