Day in history for May 11, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Rock Island County men who were soldiers during the War of 1812 have adopted a resolution recommending that the national government establish an arsenal on Rock Island.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- The liquor question continues to divide towns bitterly. In Cordova, saloons now must pay a $300 license fee, a hint they are not wanted. In Zuma Township, the people have decided by vote not to let temperance lecturers use the church.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Miss Lucy Brennan, representing Rock Island High School, won first place in a four-state oratorical contest held in Minneapolis.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island defeated Davenport 18 to 7 in its opening home game in the Mississippi Valley Professional Baseball League.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Residents of the Blue Grass area were asked to be on the watch for a fox that may be rabid and to report to the sheriff's office immediately if any stock has been bitten. The search for the fox was started after Mrs. Herman Steffen reported that a fox bit and tore her dress while she was visiting with Mrs. Perry Cooper at the Cooper home near Blue Grass.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- The snow-removal efforts at the Quad City Airport, which closed down only once all winter, were recognized at the annual International Aviation Snow Symposium held last week in Allentown, Pa. The airport was one of two given honorable mention for its snow-fighting efforts.
Back: Available days in May 2004