Day in history for April 7, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Harry McArthur, Esq., has been appointed postmaster at Geneseo, the first Democrat ever named to that position. Mr. McArthur is also assessor and treasurer for Henry County.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- The Mississippi Valley Times is the name of a new paper at Rapids City. The paper advocates removal of the county seat from Rock Island to Rapids City. We are preparing to move right away.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- J.P. Newburg, Rock Island inventor, declines to give a reporter any details of a flying machine he is building.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- A special meeting of the Mississippi Valley professional baseball league will be held in Rock Island to act on Moline's protest against the 1929 schedule.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Two members of the Rock Island police and fire departments will become the first trainees in the city's history in arson detection and investigation. Capt. Ben J. Jacobson of the fire department and Det. Sgt. Elmer J. Janssens of the police force will receive the training.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Officials at Franciscan Hospital, Rock Island, were so sure that a bomb threat received by telephone was a hoax that they did not tell police until an hour later. The hospital suspected a patient, who was removed from the hospital by force, was behind the ruse. The hospital requested police give them no assistance and denied need for followup investigation.
Back: Available days in April 2004