Day in history for April 4, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- The Lamartine run aground and sunk her stern on Saturday night about 12 or 15 miles below town. She was loaded and bound down the river. Mr. VanSant of the Rock Island Boat Yard has gone down to see what can be done with her.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island city council has repealed the ordinance which prohibited cows from running at large. Cows may now wander the streets from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- A band stand will be built in Long View Park. The stand in Spencer Square will be replaced by a better one.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- A bill was introduced in the legislature for the state to take over maintenance of a War of 1812 monument at Campbell's Island, East Moline.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- The Rock Island County Board of Supervisors authorized action aimed at eventual emergency appropriation of funds for repairing the county courthouse. The special board session was a result of grand jury criticism of the board for the condition of the courthouse.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Doris Aswege was reading Wednesday night in the bedroom of her condominium in Moline, when a car, catapulted forward by a frozen accelerator pedal, smashed into the room about 8:45 p.m., scattering bricks, dust and furniture, but leaving Mrs. Aswege and her dog unscathed. When the dust settled, the car and the walls of the home were extensively damaged.
Back: Available days in April 2004