Day in history for April 25, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Codding's Traveling Daguerrean Gallery is now opposite the courthouse, in this place, where it will remain until May 8, which will be the last day. Now is the time for all who wish to get a correct likeness of themselves and friends.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- P.L. Mitchell, owner of the cotton mill at Milan, has now bought the woolen mill property.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Nine skeletons were unearthed on a knoll southwest of the Watertown Asylum. It is thought to have been an Indian burying ground. The best preserved specimens are in the possession of Loren Pierce, and further investigation is being made.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Plans have been made for the fifth annual jacks tournament for children of Rock Island schools.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Presentation of the original copy of the Black Hawk Treaty to the Davenport Public Museum took place in a brief ceremony Sunday afternoon at the museum before a small crowd. The valuable document will be stored in Davenport in a fireproof vault until the projected new museum building is constructed.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Construction began today on an $80 million cement plant in Buffalo, Iowa, that is expected to boost local cement production by 350,000 tons a year. The Martin Marietta plant, which will replace an existing facility at the site six miles west of Davenport will be completed in 1981.
Back: Available days in April 2004