Day in history for April 24, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- At present there are just 5 feet of water in the Rock Island rapids. Regular steamboats cannot run. Light, stern-wheel boats are running up and down almost daily, but they charge all sorts of fancy prices for passengers and freight.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- William A. Meader of Hampton came to this office today with a catfish 3 1/2 feet long and weighing 57 pounds. The fish got into shallow water, where Meader captured it with his hands.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- The Moline Chautauqua Association has arranged 13 days of entertainment at the tabernacle in Prospect Park for July 14-27.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Anton M. Cramer was appointed to the police force.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- The statue of Chief Black Hawk, which stood for 61 years in Spencer Square, now stands proudly on the very spot where the old chief and his warriors maintained a lookout more than a century ago. The statue was moved yesterday to Black Hawk State Park and has been placed in the garden area overlooking Rock River and its valley.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Vandals went on a rampage in Nels Peterson Park in Moline early this morning, causing extensive damage to the park shelter and dozens of picnic tables. Using deck railing as kindling, the vandals set about six picnic tables on fire under the park shelter. The fire spread to the roof of the structure and extensively damaged it.
Back: Available days in April 2004