Day in history for April 19, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Hallenbeck's Saloon is the place to get good meals, very clean and exquisitely cooked.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- A Whiteside County man raises wolves. He brought eight young ones to Rock Island today saying he had captured them in this county. He killed the wolves in our courthouse square, thereby making sure of collecting his bounty.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Fourteen freight handlers of the Rock Island Road went on strike here today, demanding 16 cents an hour. They are getting 14 cents an hour, with a 10-hour day.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- The combination of youth, automobiles and moonshine liquor is destroying human society, the superintendent of Cook County schools said.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- The Army Ordnance Department and Rock Island Arsenal today released the story of the design and manufacture of the new ''Honest John'' free rocket launcher, a development kept secret as a security precaution since 1951. The launcher, which starts the powerful rocket on its way, was designed and is produced at Rock Island Arsenal.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Mark Johnson, former Michigan and Alleman star, continued his winning ways last weekend by claiming his second title in a row in a National Greco Wrestling Tournament. Johnson scored three pins in addition to a pin in the finals en route to the championship at a meet held in Minneapolis. Johnson wrestled in the 180-pound weight class.
Back: Available days in April 2004