Day in history for April 18, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- The new ferry boat J. Wilson has arrived. She is the finest ferry boat that ever was on the Mississippi. We have no room for an extended notice of her this week.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Three hundred men now work at the Rock Island Arsenal.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- George W. Henry will make a model assessor. He is thoroughly familiar with the duties of the office, knows property value, and will be just and fair.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Development of television will be the scientific wonder of this century, a scientist told the Tri-City Chapter of the American Society for Mechanical Engineers.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Davenport began its new 1-way street program today amid blasts of auto horns and shouts of motorists unfamiliar with the new traffic setup. The 1-way plan routes traffic east on 3rd Street and west on 4th Street. When the plan started this morning some 30 all-night parkers found their vehicles parked in the wrong direction.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island school administrators and two school board members will begin working with Milan village officials on a plan to use school-district owned land for a new Milan swimming pool. The Milan Village Board wants to use part of the school district's 40-acre tract at Bruce Avenue and 4th Street West. The school board bought the property in 1962 as a potential site for a new junior high school.
Back: Available days in April 2004