Day in history for April 13, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Officers of Rock Island County are John M. Gould, John Kistler and George Holmes, county judges; A.F. Swander, sheriff; R.W. Smith, deputy clerk; Amos Stillman, surveyor; R.T. Shaw, assessor and treasurer; J.W. Churchill, school commissioner; Frazer Wilson, circuit clerk.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Work has started on John Bengston's new building at Market Square and 2nd Avenue. The grand edifice planned will be an architectural ornament to Rock Island.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- At a game of basketball, the referee prefaced the contest with a speech and a long prayer, after which he gave one team the worst of the calls, so much so that the game broke up in a fight. The score at the time was 30 to 30.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island County Bar Association opposes an Illinois bill to permit women to serve on juries.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- William Hancks, 32, of 1838 8th St., Rock Island, is reported in fairly good condition today at St. Anthony's Hospital. He was injured in a tumble through a skylight in fighting the loop blaze early yesterday morning.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- East Moline Mayor Dennis Jacobs visited with EPA officials in Springfield. Jacobs is trying to get state approval for a 120-acre piece of land adjacent to the city's 45 acre landfill to be used as the city's next landfill.
Back: Available days in April 2004