Day in history for April 12, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- The principal points of trade in Rock Island County are Rock Island, Moline, Camden (Milan), Hampton and Port Byron. Post offices are also established at Cordova, Prairiefield, Holly, Illinois City, Drury, Pennsylvania, Copper Creek, Buffalo Prairie and Pleasant Ridge.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Island should raise its saloon license to $300 a year, the same as Moline, and thereby rid itself of a dozen or so low doggies run by irresponsible men who are the source of most of the trouble which afflict our police.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island excursion steamer J.S. left Louisiana yesterday and will fill excursion dates along the river, arriving in its home port June 11.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- The Rev. John F. Fitzpatrick was appointed rector of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Rock Island.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- A 3-story brick building at 109-115 18th St., Rock Island, was a mere skeleton today after roaring flames gutted the structure starting at midnight Sunday. When the roof of the 50-year-old structure collapsed at 1 a.m., flames shot at least a hundred feet in the air and were visible for several miles.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Iowa-Illinois Gas And Electric Co. officials have admitted shortcomings in their storage of a toxic chemical in Rock Island to Illinois Environmental Protection Agency officials, and blamed the problem on ''poor housekeeping'' by employees.
Back: Available days in April 2004