Day in history for March 5, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- In the state's new political districting, the counties of Rock Island, Mercer, Knox, Henry and Stark will combine to elect one state senator. Rock Island, Henry and Mercer counties are placed in a district that will elect one Illinois legislature representative.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- At the Black Hawk club rooms last night, B.D. Buford of the Buford Plow Co. was the surprised recipient of a pair of slippers from his admirers.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Newton Bruner, 16, was killed on the Bruner farm near Port Byron when the limb of a tree he was trimming threw him and pinned him to the ground.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. H.H. Cleaveland of Rock Island were among the guests at a White House lunch following the inauguration of Herbert Hoover as president.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- The Hydraulic-Press Brick Co., located between Aledo and Viola, is situated in a community known as Shale City. Here deposits of blue shale are readily available for the manufacture of high-grade facing bricks, which are sold throughout the Midwest.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- The $500,000, French-made, jet-powered helicopter capable of traveling at 140 miles per hour circled slowly in the wind. The helicopter, carrying emergency medical equipment, staged a dry run this morning to acquaint Davenport's Mercy Hospital staff with the state's new emergency medical transport system, set to debut in April.
Back: Available days in March 2004