Day in history for March 26, 2004

1854 -- 150 years ago
Frink And Co. now runs a daily line of stagecoaches between Davenport and Cedar Rapids, by way of Tipton.

1879 -- 125 years ago
S.R. Finley walked 58 miles and Thomas Hass 56 before they took their first rest in their 24-hour walking race in Turner Hall, Rock Island.

1904 -- 100 years ago
Augustana College has taken an option to buy land at 7th Avenue and 38th Street as a site for a future auditorium.

1929 -- 75 years ago
Gov. John Hammill of Iowa has accepted an invitation to join Gov. Louis Emmerson of Illinois at the dedication of the Rock Island Public Schools Stadium next Oct. 5.

1954 -- 50 years ago
Members of the flood control committee of the East Moline and Silvis chamber of commerce will recommend to the East Moline City Council the construction of an earthern dike along the East Moline riverfront. The recommendation will include a dike from a point 500 feet west of Sugar Creek southwesterly to the Deere And Co. properties.

1979 -- 25 years ago
A policewoman was forced to tackle a 19-year-old Moline woman who fled the scene of a hit-and-run accident and later caused a ruckus at the police station. Once at the police station, the woman kicked two officers and threw a desk spindle at another. She was charged with aggravated battery, battery, drunk driving, leaving the scene of an accident, escape, resisting arrest and criminal damage to property.

Back: Available days in March 2004



Local events heading








  Today is Friday, Aug. 22, the 234th day of 2014. There are 131 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: The ferry boat, Rock Island, having been put in good order at the boat yard is now making her regular trips, much to the gratification of those who have to cross the river.
1889 -- 125 years ago: W.J. Gamble, for many years superintendent of the Moline & Rock Island railway, leased the Fourth Avenue Hotel and renovated and refurnished it throughout.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Pending the building of new public schools or additions to the present ones to provide adequate room for all the children, the board of education decided that pupils younger than 6 years old would not be accepted in Rock Island schools.
1939 -- 75 years ago: The fifth annual New Windsor Fair and Horse show, which has been delayed for two days because of unfavorable weather, got off to a new start last night. The parade was held this morning.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The Rock Island County Fair and Rodeo will celebrate its silver anniversary this year. The fair opens Tuesday and will run through Saturday and offers entertainment and activity for young and old.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Earl Hanson School, Rock Island, joins the Program to Assist Latch Key Student, which aids working parents. PALS is a before and after school program for grades 1-6 in certain Rock Island public and private schools.




(More History)