Day in history for February 24, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Chicago newspapers are praising highly the hospitality of Rock Island on Feb. 22 when 300 Chicagoans and many other visitors were entertained at the celebration of the coming of the first train of cars. Several hundred visitors were given lodging overnight in homes of citizens.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Mrs. Claress Cook, 67, died in Davenport. From her own funds she built a church, eight schools and Davenport's public library. She was the widow of Ebenezer Cook, former vice president of the Chicago And Rock Island Railroad Co.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Kings Daughters will sponsor a show of pretty babies in the armory on 16th Street in the hope of raising $3,000 toward a fund to open an old ladies' home.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Oct. 5 has been set as the date for dedication of the Rock Island Public Schools stadium.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- A 2,500-word article dealing with the problem of rearing children, written by Earl H. Hanson, Rock Island superintendent of schools, will appear in the second quarterly issue of Liberty Magazine, which will be published and sent out in early May.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Robert Thompson, Rock Island, told police he awoke at 6:20 a.m. when he heard suspicious noises. Upon investigation he found a 17-year-old boy, whom he knew, in his basement. Thompson said he ran back up his basement steps, locked his basement door and telephoned police. When police arrived they found the youthful burglar had left by pushing out a basement window.
Back: Available days in February 2004