Day in history for February 22, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Jefferson Davis, Secretary of War, assures Rock Island men who had written to inquire that the Fort Armstrong military reservation will not be sold. Mr. Davis says the island is ''the best site in the whole country between the Alleghenies and the Rocky Mountains for a national armory and arsenal.''
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- The social event of the season will be a musical and dramatic entertainment in Turner Hall to be given the 25th by United States Engineers. It will be a select affair, only holders of invitations being admitted.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- The Augustana College women's basketball team lost to Monmouth College ladies, 7 to 2.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Louis W. Joseph (Joe Frisco), famous comedian, recalled his Rock Island boyhood as he visited here with his mother.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- The citizens advisory committee recommended to the Moline board of education that the Smith Farm-King's Orchard site for a new high school be put up for a second vote before the board election April 10. The site failed approval by a narrow margin at the school expansion referendum Feb. 6.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Volunteer ambulance attendants indicated they would support a second ambulance for back-up use and transfers, and agreed to support any move to extend service to areas outside Coal Valley Fire Protection District. Supervisor Gerry Stahr polled attendants at the Volunteer Ambulance Service Organization's meeting so he can report to fire district trustees.
Back: Available days in February 2004