Day in history for February 20, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Mayor Frizzell, Lewis M. Webber, Jacob Norris, Frazer Wilson and J.W. Churchill will go to Springfield as agents of this city to protect its rights in operation of the Rock Island-Davenport ferry.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- James Johnson has been re-elected chief of the Rock Island volunteer fire companies.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- In order that their employees may have some time for recreation, McCabe's and Young And McComb's department stores have agreed to close at 5:30 each evening, except Saturdays.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- A large building formerly used by the Boone Woolen Mills has been leased by the Rock Island Chamber of Commerce for use as an exposition hall.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Tentative plans have been made to improve the teaching of sex education in Rock Island public schools. Changes in the present program were recommended by the human relations committee composed of the high school and and junior high school principals. At present, Dr. John Murphy, a retired Geneseo physician, teaches sex education to only seventh-grade pupils in the Rock Island system.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Moline residents feel the public library has an adequate collection, above-average service and an excellent staff. But a lack of parking space prevents many people from enjoying the library's services, according to a recent survey. The survey was intended to help the library formulate future goals, policies and programs.
Back: Available days in February 2004