Day in history for February 2, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Rock Island City Council asks congress to appropriate money to help build the Warsaw And Rockford railroad, inasmuch as the government hasn't cleared the rapids in the river of obstructions so as to permit adequate steamboat navigation.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- A petition signed by 280 persons was presented to the Rock Island City Council. The petitioners ask for an election on a proposal to reorganize the city under the Illinois general incorporation act of 1872.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- An alert law department of the Modern Woodmen of America defeated a plot by a Wisconsin man to swindle fraternal insurance organizations by means of false death claims.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Radio station WHBF will install broadcasting facilities on the mezzanine of the Fort Armstrong Hotel at a cost of $5,000.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- A spectacular fire, which might have proved disastrous for one of Rock Island's school buildings, caused an estimated $5,000 damage to a 1-story frame annex of Frances Willard Grade School, 9th Street and 25th Avenue. Flames from the annex, situated about 25 feet south of the main school building, spread through a passageway and damaged a door of the main structure.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- That ad ``sooner or later you'll ride the bus'' came true 15,000 times in January. Cold and snowy weather caused bus ridership here to jump 12 to 15 percent over year-ago figures, according to John Murphy, assistant manager of the Rock Island County Metropolitan Mass Transit District.
Back: Available days in February 2004