PREP FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Day in history for January 4, 2004

1854 -- 150 years ago
At an oyster supper given by the Ladies Sewing Circle of Moline in S.H. White's new store, some of the pioneer men present competed with each other in recalling the many changes which have taken place since they came 15 to 20 years ago. These are now populous cities.

1879 -- 125 years ago
Field Brothers, regarded as the strongest general store in Rock Island, is the third such store to fall within two weeks. Field's trouble resulted from their being forced to carry over large stocks of goods, which shrank in value.

1904 -- 100 years ago
Undeterred by an estimated cost of $300,000, interested property owners have filed a petition in Cambridge court to straighten Green River, which will drain large tracts and bring thousands of Henry County acres into cultivation.

1929 -- 75 years ago
Deere And Co. common stock reached a new high of $600 a share on Wall Street.

1954 -- 50 years ago
New Year's Eve pranksters blew up a mail box and a milk delivery compartment at two Moline residences. Police said they found fragments of a large firecracker at the Elmer H. Engstrom residence, 1305 25th Ave. It was assumed the same sort of explosive was used at the Milton H. McBride residence, 1321 24th Ave.

1979 -- 25 years ago
Rudy L. Bracher, who was a prime force in developing the Boys Scouts of America in Moline and served as the executive of Moline Area Council of Boy Scouts for 37 years, died at the home of his son Bernie in El Paso, Texas, this morning after a brief illness. He was 87. Bracher was credited with influencing more boys than any other man in the area. Beside his long tenure with the Scouts, he founded and served on the board of directors of Arrowhead Ranch.

Back: Available days in January 2004




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)