Day in history for January 25, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- For the first time in many years the river is frozen over opposite Alton and St. Louis.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- A petition is being circulated in Davenport for appointment of George L. Davenport as Indian agent by the president. Mr. Davenport, who was born in Rock Island in 1817, can speak several Indian dialects.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- A Rock Island YMCA basketball team defeated the Moline Y Five, 26-10.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Residents of Milan planned an appeal for federal emergency aid as an ice gorge in Mill Creek threatened to bring another disastrous flood.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- News that one of only two copies of the treaty with members of the Sac and Fox Indian nation, by which six million acres of eastern Iowa land were opened for settlement in 1832 had been discovered, and shortly would be returned to Iowa and eventually would find a permanent home in Davenport, makes exciting reading for all those who have even the most fragmentary knowledge of the history of this part of the country.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- A 5-year-old girl was swamped in a snowdrift near Bowlesburg School last week, Ald. Jim Sens told the Silvis City Council, when he asked if pathways for school children could be cleared. Sens said the girl's mother went to meet her at the bus, didn't find her there and went home. A short time later, a man carrying the hysterical child came to the door. The girl had fallen into a snowdrift and her rescuer heard her cries as he was driving by.
Back: Available days in January 2004