Day in history for January 24, 2004

1854 -- 150 years ago
The track is laid on the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad nearly to Rock River. A want of engines to haul iron has slightly impeded the progress of the work.

1879 -- 125 years ago
The brick work on the Rodman Rifles Armory and city hall will be completed in two weeks if the weather continues good.

1904 -- 100 years ago
Prof. Frederick Starr, of Chicago University, and well known in the Tri-Cities, has been sent on an errand of an unusual nature to the northern-most island of the Japanese group. He will secure some of the Ainus, or ''hairy people,'' for exhibition purposes at the St. Louis World's Fair.

1929 -- 75 years ago
Judge George D. Long has increased the fines he assesses in county court against persons found guilty of selling liquor. Three defendents this week have been fined $800 each.

1954 -- 50 years ago
''One hundred years have rolled by since the first wagon was built on the site of our present Wagon Works Plant No. 1,'' said A.S. Gale, plant manager, at the John Deere Wagon Works annual service recognition dinner in the LeClaire Hotel. Gale briefly reviewed the history of the plant, then presented pins and awards. Rock Island Mayor Carl F. Bauer rolled up 49 years of service before retiring last Dec. 1.

1979 -- 25 years ago
January, 1979, now has the dubious distinction of being the snowiest month ever in the Quad-Cities. And, unless some unseasonably warm weather comes in the next week, January 1979 also will be the coldest on record.

Back: Available days in January 2004




Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, Sept. 17, the 260th day of 2014. There are 105 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: We are told league merchants have paid no attention to the prohibition on selling ammunition, but continue to sell just as before the order was issued.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The Rev. R.F. Sweet, rector of Trinity Episcopal Parish, left for the East to visit his boyhood home in Boston before attending the general convention of the Episcopal Church in New York.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Dr. E.A. Anderson was named to succeed Dr. E.L. Kerns as head physician of the Modern Woodmen of America, and moved to Rock Island from Holdingford, Minn.
1939 -- 75 years ago: One week late, because of the outbreak of war, Dr. E.L. Beyer resumed his work as professor of romance languages at Augustana College. Dr. and Mrs. Beyer left Germany on the last train to the Belgian border.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Employees in Turnstyle stores in Moline and Davenport will vote Oct. 2 in an election set up by the Chicago regional office of the National Labor Relations Board. Employees will vote either for the Retail Clerk International or for no union.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Rock Island High School is considering a step to help teen moms stay in school and get their diploma. The school board is expected to vote tonight on instituting an on-site child care center.


(More History)