Day in history for January 14, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- The railroad tracks have been laid as far as Green River, east of Moline.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Friends of J. Frank Robinson, bank cashier, gave him a genuine surprise reception last evening. He has just returned from Europe.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Mrs. Sarah L. Gregg, widow of Dr. Patrick Gregg, died today at 84 in her home, 2224 8th Ave. Her husband was Rock Island's first physician and he became the most prominent doctor in western Illinois.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- The Tri-City Railway Company is asking permission to use buses instead of street cars on the Milan line.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- The doors to the Quad-City area's most modern hospital facility, the $2,100,000 addition to St. Anthony's Hospital, 30th Street and 8th Avenue, Rock Island, will be open to the public Sunday for the first time. An invitation to attend the open house to see the comforts, modern conveniences and beautiful interior decorating schemes has been extended to all residents of western Illinois and eastern Iowa by Mother Mary Bernard, the mother general, and Sister Mary Elizabeth, hospital administrator.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Customers may not get what they want to eat and drink as fast as they used to, after the closing of the second of two small restaurants in Prophetstown during the last six months. The loss of Chuck's Place, which closed last summer, and the Donut Shop, which closed the last day of the year, leaves only the Coffee Shop and the Pizza Pit to serve diners and snackers.
Back: Available days in January 2004