Day in history for December 6, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- We hear that the new store of Messrs. Ainsworth, Lynde And Simons at Geneseo is doing a fine business. Our friends in that region cannot find more honorable or upright men to deal with.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- A load of hay remained all night on the scales in Market Square, something unusual here. Hay hasn't been selling lately.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- C.I. Pederson was elected worshipful master of Rock Island Lodge No. 658, Masons.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Donald Hubbart was chosen to represent Rock Island High School in a Big Nine conference declamation contest.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- In an effort to thwart persons posing as city inspectors, a good number of Rock Island city employees today were doing a bit of posing themselves. City Manager Conny Bodine said the employees are posing for pictures which will be placed on identification cards. The pictures are being taken by the police department. The cards will be carried by all city employees who have contact with the public in line with their city duties.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- The Davenport man who appeared on ``The Dating Game'' after going AWOL from a residential correctional facility has two other television credits. James Shelton, who called his Davenport attorney during the past week to arrange to turn himself in, said he has not only been on ``The Dating Game,'' but appeared on two episodes of ``The Gong Show.''
Back: Available days in December 2003