Day in history for December 19, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The law of Solomon Knickerbocker of Port Byron was shot to pieces while he was preparing to go hunting. While he was putting on his gloves, the gun discharged in his face.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Although the thermometers show 10 degrees below zero, Market Square was crowded with farmers' sleighs today.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island city council will consider an offer by the heirs of Bailey Davenport to sell a strip of land north of the city reservoir park.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- King George V, who has been near death for many days, now has a chance to recover, his physicians said today.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- A drive to collect $475,000 to finance construction of a new wing for Moline Lutheran Hospital is now in its first phase with the solicitation of industry and businessmen. Total cost of the new wing and a remodeling in parts of the present building plus addition of new equipment and some redecoration is set at $775,000. However, the hospital reports $300,000 is available from reserves, gifts and bequests.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- A bus carrying 15 Riverdale High School students slid on a patch of ice, swerved and almost fell into a Rock River backwater half a mile south of the Hillsdale Trailer Court. The bus came to rest at a 180-degree angle to approaching traffic, and its back wheels sank into the muddy shoulder. No one was hurt, school officials said.
Back: Available days in December 2003