Day in history for December 18, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Hoffacker has taken rooms at the American House and advertises that he will teach German and French to any persons who desire to learn those languages.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Sleighs to Davenport in place of a ferry boat trip now.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The funeral of the Rev. C.A. Bersell, Augustana College professor, was held today.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Friends honored George W. Gamble, circuit clerk of Rock Island County, on his 80th birthday anniversary.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- The theft of 100 sample dresses and personal clothing, valued at $1,340, was reported to Rock Island police this morning. Leo Rosenkranz, St. Louis, Mo., a salesman for the Forest City Mfg. Co., Collinsville, Ill., said the clothes were taken from a car parked at 19th St. and 2nd Ave. Police said the car prowler gained entrance to the vehicle by breaking a ventilator window.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Theodore Weigle, regional director of the Urban Mass Transit Authority in Chicago, says if the Davenport City Council doesn't decide by Jan. 15 whether it wants to store Davenport mass-transit buses in a Rock Island garage, the Quad-Cities may lose millions of dollars in federal aid to build it. Last October the UMTA picked the BAndM Electrical Distributing Co. 2927 5th Ave., Rock Island, as the site of a garage to serve both sides of the river.
Back: Available days in December 2003