Day in history for December 17, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Sheriff Swander has printed notices, which he has posted in each precinct, concerning the places and times he will receive payments of taxes.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Cleveland Coal Co. has drained about four more acres of Rock River and is taking out coal lying almost on the surface of what was the bottom of the stream. Twenty-seven carloads of coal went out on the C. B. and Q. yesterday.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- A new pauper house at the Rock Island County infirmary will be dedicated Dec. 29, the first anniversary of the burning of the building it replaces.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- The 25th anniversary of aviation was celebrated at Kitty Hawk, N.C., where the Wright Brothers made their first airplane flight Dec. 17, 1903.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Receipts at the Moline Post Office have hit the $1,000,000 mark for the first time in its history, it was announced by Tulle V. Davis, acting postmaster. Davis said that the organizational plan of the post office department provides for salary increases for the postmaster and some other high officials when receipts pass the $1,000,000 mark.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island police arrested a 20-year-old woman after a fight broke out at a downtown bingo game. She was charged with aggravated battery and unlawful use of a weapon. She was arrested about 8:45 p.m. at her home after an incident about 6:30 p.m. at the Rock Island Elks Club, 220 19th St.
Back: Available days in December 2003