Day in history for December 13, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Farnamville is the name of a new town, (that is to be) seven miles this side of Sheffield, on the Rock Island railroad.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The river is frozen over and crossing on the ice has begun.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The new Rock Island Public Library building will be opened within a few days.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island School Board is considering paying $10,000 more to extend the new high school site as far as 12th St.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island is short over 1,000 parking spaces of the absolute minimum normal requirements for a city of this size, Metropolitan Planners, Inc., Indianapolis, told Rock Island municipal officials. Although the firm's study of Rock Island off-street parking has not yet been concluded, two representatives of the concern told local officials that there is a possibility that they might be forced to recommend a multi-story parking garage in the downtown area.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island County's new family planning clinic probably will open within three months, county health administrator Fred Siebenmann said. He said the Illinois Family Planning Council gave him the go ahead to begin looking for a site for the new clinic. The county has been without a family planning center since April 1977 when the Neighborhood Health Center in Rock Island closed its doors.
Back: Available days in December 2003