Day in history for December 11, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Who will build a plank road to Moline? In a few years omnibuses will run every hour between these two towns. Then businessmen can have places of residence between the two places. There is no other place where a plank road is so much needed or would pay so well.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- In Davenport public schools 4,273 boys and girls are enrolled and 2,370 of them are studying the German language.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Seventy-two new members were entertained at dinner at the YMCA last night. William B. McIntyre was toastmaster.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island is considering two sites for an airport, following a survey. One site is east of 30th, the other east of 38th St. The field to be chosen will cover 80 square blocks in the southeast section of the city.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island city officials currently are studying two proposals for the best development of Lake Potter in Sunset Park in the city's west end. A suggestion that the lake be developed as a fishing site gains support from the city's park board. Another suggestion that the lake be developed as a boat basin for small boats and sailboats is gaining favorable consideration from other city officials.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- The Marycrest College nursing program has received full accreditation by the National League for Nursing, it was announced by Dr. Ron Van Ryswyk, Marycrest president.
Back: Available days in December 2003