Day in history for December 10, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The Argus has learned that Contractor John Warner has succeeded in obtaining the necessary timbers for the Rock River bridge. This means that railroad cars will reach Rock Island in January, or February at the latest.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The price of seats at the new Harper Opera House has been fixed at $1.75 and 50 cents. This brings the price within the range of most people. Jane Coombs is playing there tonight in ``The Hunchback.''
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- When the scheduled play cast failed to appear last night at the Illinois Theater, a vaudeville troupe, which was passing through the city by train, was engaged on quick notice to entertain the audience.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Prices of the new Model A Ford, the first drastically changed model of the car in 25 years, range from $450 to $625.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Davenport Park Board officials and Davenport Police today warned hunters that they are cracking down on violators of the park rules that prohibit firearms within the parks. The warning was issued after two teenage boys were found in Duck Creek Park with rifles.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- No sooner had the Milwaukee Road local freight been put back on the tracks after a Monday night derailment north of East Moline, it went down again about 9:15 p.m. Thursday near Rapids City. Milwaukee Road officials said ice buildup on the rails spelled doom both times.
Back: Available days in December 2003