Day in history for November 6, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The steamer R.H. Lee, which has been stuck on the rocks near Hampton for two weeks, came down to Bailey and Boyle's boat yard for repairs.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- After an absence of four years, the Lingards are back in Rock Island and will appear in the play ``His Own Enemy'' in Dart's Hall.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- ``Uncle Tom's Cabin'' is the play tonight at the Illinois Theater.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Sarah Ann Walker, 102, was the oldest voter today in Rock Island. She cast a straight Republican ballot.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Arthur Godfrey doesn't know it, but he has a devoted fan in Rock Island. His name is Ricky, the ringtailed raccoon. Ricky lives with Mr. and Mrs. H.C. Thacker. He is so devoted, he goes right over to the television set and turns it on. He likes to watch while lying on the back of an easy chair.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- It was the kind of day that went from bad to worse. Two cars owned by Dannie and Brenda Crowe, Moline, were hit and if that wasn't bad enough, somebody came along and hit the couple's cars again. In the first accident a Moline man was charged with going too fast for conditions and with leaving the scene of an accident after he struck the Crowe's cars which were parked in front of their house. Early the next morning the Crowe's two cars, still parked in front of their house, were among four parked autos struck by another motorist.
Back: Available days in November 2003