Day in history for November 5, 2003

1853 -- 150 years ago
The state has given John Wilson a monopoly of the Rock Island-Davenport ferrying business until Feb. 26, 1861, and limited the taxes the ferry has to pay to $40 a year.

1878 -- 125 years ago
Julius Junge, landlord of the Trivoli Hotel, married Emily Friese, daughter of an Aledo housekeeper, in Aledo.

1903 -- 100 years ago
The city council brought its war with the Central Union Telephone Co. to a climax by ordering the company to remove all its phones and cease doing business in Rock Island.

1928 -- 75 years ago
The Tri-City Symphony Orchestra pleased a capacity audience at its opening concert of the season.

1953 -- 50 years ago
The Silvis City Council is determined to crack down on plumbers who rip holes in the streets to install or repair plumbing and do an inadequate job of refilling the holes. Ald. Frank Lesthaeghe disclosed that some plumbers were using sand to fill the holes.

1978 -- 25 years ago
Geneseo firemen were called to extinguish a flaming truck and a burning cornpicker. A truck belonging to Walter DeMont caught fire as it was parked inside of the Circle S Seed Mill on Chicago Street. Workmen pushed the truck outside, where firemen doused flames in the engine compartment. Then firemen were called to the Lowell Kukuk farm, northeast of Geneseo, when a mounted cornpicker caught fire.

Back: Available days in November 2003



Local events heading








  Today is Thursday, Oct. 2, the 275th day of 2014. There are 90 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The ladies have adopted the fashion of wearing representations of insects in the flowers on their bonnets. Some look very natural.
1889 -- 125 years ago: T.F. Cary, former Rock Island alderman, has accepted a position as salesman for a Chicago wallpaper house and plans to move to that city.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Work on the new telephone building on 18th Street between 6th and 7th avenues is progressing rapidly.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Rock Island's new theater at 3rd Avenue and 19th Street will have a name significant of its location. The "Rocket" is scheduled to open Thanksgiving Day.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Two of Rock Island's newest water towers were vandalized last night, including the one at 38th Street and 31st Avenue, where police took five Moline boys into custody about 9 p.m..
1989 -- 25 years ago: Some of us who live in the Quad-Cities take the Mississippi River for granted, or at least we used to. But the river is not taken for granted by our visitors. And most Quad-Citians are realizing the importance of the river to this area as increased emphasis is placed on tourism.







(More History)