Day in history for November 4, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Boxes will be placed in each Rock Island voting hall for contributions to the Washington monument. A dime from each inhabitant of the nation would bring in enough to complete this noble structure.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The 14th district of the Women's Relief Corps, an auxiliary to the G.A.R., convened in Rock Island County courthouse and elected Mrs. Sylvia Hemenway of Rock Island as secretary.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Burglars took $40 at the home of A.D. Welch last night. The money belonged to Miss Lura Lukens, a sister of Mrs. Welch.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Frank J. Budelier, Rock Island, was elected vice president and this city was chosen for the 1929 convention by the Illinois Association of Insurance Agents.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- The Rock Island County drivers license examining station, which has been located at District 7 Illinois State Police headquarters in Black Hawk State Park, will be moved to Milan sometime next week. The Milan site will be a building adjacent to Bringer Inn.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- The congregation of St. John's Lutheran Church, Rock Island, will observe their 50th and 90th anniversaries. Grace Lutheran Church was organized in Rock Island's east end in 1888. One block away Zion Lutheran was organized three years later in 1891. In 1928, Grace and Zion churches merged.
Back: Available days in November 2003