Day in history for November 14, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Rock Island is growing so fast that we now have the merry bells of red bread wagons and of yellow ones. There's business enough for both bakeries.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Burglars entered the John Warner home on 5th Ave., Rock Island, last night. Carrie Warner awoke to see them standing by her bed, but she pretended to be asleep until they left.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Members of the Rock Island Club are planning a theatrical for Jan. 8.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island board of education voted to build an elementary school at 20th Ave. and 40th St.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- An Iowa high school student, paralyzed from the waist down, has received $240 for the purchase of a new wheelchair as the result of a recent Strike It Rich program, seen on WHBF-TV at 10:30 a.m., Monday through Friday. He is Jay Hammer of Grand View.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island football fans shouldn't be forced to attend games on Saturday afternoon rather than Friday night because of hooligans. Councilman Lloyd Peters says the city council ought to do something to get the games back to the time they've traditionally been played. Rock Island High School officials last year said they were moving the games to afternoons because the stadium lights were too dim, though Alleman High School still plays its games there on Friday nights.
Back: Available days in November 2003