Day in history for November 13, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The steamer Artic brings news of the beginning of war between Turkey and Russia.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Work began today on furnishing the club rooms of the Rock Island Athletic Club.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- ``Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch'' is the play tonight at the Illinois Theater.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Political writers are speculating on whether the Democratic party is dead or whether it can recover from its overwhelming defeat in the last week's elections.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- First Assistant Fire Chief Ted R. Martin and Policewoman Sgt. Madeline L. Johnson were to confer this afternoon with the parents of two young boys concerning a blaze in an unoccupied Rock Island home. The boys had entered the dwelling to play, became cold, and decided to start a fire. They picked as their fireplace the toilet bowl in the bathroom. The owner had flushed water from the bowl and replaced it with kerosene to prevent it from freezing. The interior of the bathroom was damaged by the resulting fire.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Gail Fisher, the Rock Island County sheriff's department employee who was fired for going to the ``wrong'' election night party, will be back on the job soon if she wants. Sheriff-elect Randy Heaton, whose victory party Fisher was fired for attending, says he ``anticipates'' rehiring her when he takes office early next month.
Back: Available days in November 2003