Day in history for October 8, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Men, who do not pay their old newspaper accounts in the fall, generally let them run over until the next spring. SEND IN THE MONEY!
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- J.M. Starzman and son of Fulton were registered at the Rock Island House.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Judge Parmenter united in marriage Roy W. Sill of Walker Station and Miss Bessie Pearl Skinner of Moline.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Sousa's band delighted a large Tri-City audience at a golden jubilee tour concert last night at Davenport Masonic Temple.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- A young Moline couple and their 2 1/2-year-old son were recuperating after a narrow brush with death Sunday morning in the chilled and choppy waters of the Mississippi River. Richard Pierce, his wife Bessie, and their young son Michael, spent more than an hour in the cold waters off the East Moline shore when their small outboard motorboat capsized. By hanging onto the side of the overturned craft until Pierce succeeded in righting the boat and getting his wife and baby into it, they were able to survive until rescued by East Moline police and firemen.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Yesterday during the daylight hours in Rock Island there were 10 home burglaries, two or three times the usual number. Sgt. Bob Schroeder of the Region 7 Crime Prevention Unit says residents should be on the alert for suspicious people or activities in their neighborhoods.
Back: Available days in October 2003