Day in history for October 29, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Herman G. Reynolds, a former editor in Rock Island, has been elected county judge at Galesburg. The whole Democratic ticket won in Knox County.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- John P. Irish and Clarence Dunham addressed Democratic rallies in Dart's Hall.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- ``Foxy Grandpa'' is the play now attracting large audiences to the Illinois Theater.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Charles R. Wheelan, founder and owner of the Wheelan Funeral Home, died at age 69.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Continuing on a program to provide the most modern facilities to both commercial and private pilots has placed in operation a weather teletype machine which gives up-to-the minute weather reports from all over the nation, including Canada, Culver Keeman, airport manager reported.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- It was cold and clear outside East Moline City Hall, but storm clouds were gathering indoors as about 60 angry homeowners confronted members of the city planning commission. Commissioners, deluged by criticism of a planned low- to moderate-income housing project on Archer Drive near 42nd Avenue, denied the rezoning developers need to launch the undertaking. The unanimous decision came after the protestors presented the commission with a petition signed by about 75 homeowners opposing the $2.1 million, federally subsidized project.
Back: Available days in October 2003