Day in history for October 25, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Remember the Warsaw railroad meeting to be held this week. The advertisement will be found in our paper. Let everyone go that can and learn the facts in relation to the loan. Above all, let every man in the county vote for the loan.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- R.T. McNeal has returned from a sojourn in Colorado Springs.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- A brilliant reception was held for the 13 Methodist bishops of the United States who are holding a conference here.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Hundreds of people attended formal opening of a new women's dormitory at Augustana College.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Gasoline prices plummeted to the lowest rate in several years in four Quad-City communities today as a red-hot gas price war gathered momemtum. Shortly afternoon, Sinclair stations joined the fight matching the 5 to 7 cent per gallon cut in prices in Rock Island, Moline, East Moline and Silvis. The new prices were 26.9 cents for premium and 24.9 cents for regular.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- A train derailment at 3rd and Iowa streets in Davenport late Saturday night scattered 2,500 bushels of corn in the street and blocked traffic until Sunday afternoon. One end of a train car carrying the corn was almost upright, while another car labeled ``anhydrous ammonia'' dangled precariously over the edge of the railroad bridge.
Back: Available days in October 2003