Day in history for October 24, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Major B.F. Barrett, proprietor of the Rock Island House, has returned from a long ramble through the east to benefit his health. He is looking better.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Mrs. O.J. Dimick, whose two youngest children died on the same day of diphtheria, is dangerously ill in her home on Aiken Street.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The new Spencer Memorial Methodist Church at 7th Avenue and 43rd Street, Rock Island, was dedicated today.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- W.L. Velie Sr., 62, Moline automobile and airplane manufacturer, died of heart disease.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- No, the Davenport City Hall is not for sale. Passersby were surprised this morning when they saw a large sign on the lawn in front of the municipal building advertising the city hall for sale. The sign was placed on the lawn by pranksters.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- For the first time since it was created 12 years ago, the influential Bi-State Metropolitan Planning Commission has been overruled by federal officials. U.S. mass transit officials have selected Rock Island over Davenport as the site of a controversial $5 million bus garage. The decision flies in the face of Bi-State sometimes criticized as a ``super government'' with great sway over distribution of federal funds to Quad-Cities area governments.
Back: Available days in October 2003