Day in history for October 17, 2003

1853 -- 150 years ago
Democrats convened and nominated three men to run in Rock Island County as a board of judges. They are John M. Gould of Moline, George E. Holmes of Port Byron and John Kistler of Illinois City.

1878 -- 125 years ago
The Presbyterian Synod of Northern Illinois is convening in Central Presbyterian Church, Rock Island.

1903 -- 100 years ago
A rummage sale for the benefit of the Union Mission (Bethany Home) is in progress at the Rock Island roller skating rink. First-day receipts were $350.

1928 -- 75 years ago
Royal Neighbors of America today dedicated their $600,000 supreme offices building at 16th Street and 3rd Avenue, Rock Island.

1953 -- 50 years ago
A damage suit arising out of the death of an Angus cow in a traffic mishap went to a jury of seven women and five men in Rock Island County circuit court. The jurors heard evidence and final arguments in the suit brought by Cecil Whiteside, owner of the cow, against Mart Wilson, Rock Island. Wilson, in a counter claim seeks payment for damage to his car, which was demolished in the collision.

1978 -- 25 years ago
Frank Coyle, Rock Island, got quite a surprise when he answered his door about 12:30 a.m. At the front door, Coyle told police, was a man ``standing on the front steps with his pants pulled down to his knees.'' Coyle chased the man on foot but lost him a short distance away.

Back: Available days in October 2003



Local events heading








  Today is Friday, Aug. 22, the 234th day of 2014. There are 131 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: The ferry boat, Rock Island, having been put in good order at the boat yard is now making her regular trips, much to the gratification of those who have to cross the river.
1889 -- 125 years ago: W.J. Gamble, for many years superintendent of the Moline & Rock Island railway, leased the Fourth Avenue Hotel and renovated and refurnished it throughout.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Pending the building of new public schools or additions to the present ones to provide adequate room for all the children, the board of education decided that pupils younger than 6 years old would not be accepted in Rock Island schools.
1939 -- 75 years ago: The fifth annual New Windsor Fair and Horse show, which has been delayed for two days because of unfavorable weather, got off to a new start last night. The parade was held this morning.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The Rock Island County Fair and Rodeo will celebrate its silver anniversary this year. The fair opens Tuesday and will run through Saturday and offers entertainment and activity for young and old.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Earl Hanson School, Rock Island, joins the Program to Assist Latch Key Student, which aids working parents. PALS is a before and after school program for grades 1-6 in certain Rock Island public and private schools.




(More History)