Day in history for October 15, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The list of prizes awarded at the first annual Rock Island County Fair is published today. The fair was held on the courthouse lawn.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The Methodist conference returned the Rev. George R. Palmer to serve another year as pastor of the Fifth Avenue Methodist Church, much to the pleasure of Rock Island people.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Walker Whiteside, the famous actor, drew a large audience to the Illinois Theater last night, when he appeared in ``We Are King.''
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Virginia Lee and Carl L. Wilson are the local winners in a nationwide radio vocal contest.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Approximately a third of the wells at Scott County rural schools are being rated as unsatisfactory, according to reports on water samples being received from the state hygienic laboratory at Iowa City. In cases where the water samples are reported unsatisfactory, the health department will notify the school board with the recommendation that the wells be chlorinated.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island police have received a complaint of littering -- at the city dump. A patrolman was dispatched to the Rock Island landfill concerning garbage being dumped at the entrance. Landfill supervisor Roy McGuire told police the incident happened after the landfill closed for the day and was discovered the next morning.
Back: Available days in October 2003