Day in history for October 12, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- L.M. Webber is preparing to build several new houses to rent to newcomers.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The Rodman Rifles passed a very creditable inspection. Inspector General Dana made a most favorable report and Sgt. A.E. Wells was awarded a medal for proficiency in drill. Capt. Hawes is proud of his company.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The new Spencer Memorial Methodist Church will be dedicated Oct. 25 with the Rev. J.W. Powell, Buffalo, N.Y., as the speaker.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- The ceremony of dedication of the new Royal Neighbors building will be held in the Fort Theater to better accommodate the expected throng.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Dick Thomas, former Rock Island High School gridiron star, won the United Press ``Midwest Back of the Week'' honors. Thomas was chosen for his brilliant performance in leading Northwestern to a victory over Army.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Denise Zelnio can swap football stories right along with the best of them. And that's just what she did when she became the first woman to attend Moline High School's ``M-Men's'' football alumni banquet. Membership is bestowed only on MHS alumni who have earned a major letter in football. Denise served as an athletic trainer. Another woman trainer, Colleen Fox, also received an invitation but was unable to attend.
Back: Available days in October 2003