Day in history for September 28, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- A contract for a railroad bridge has been let to John Warner and Company. The location is just where every Rock Islander wanted it. It begins at the depot, runs to the island, then to a point near the Col. Davenport house, and across the river to Iowa.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island House, which for the past few months has been under the management of William Negus, changed hands today, Charles A. Jarvis becoming proprietor.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- It was announced that the wedding of Miss Irene Rosenfield of Rock Island to Samuel Strauss of Des Moines, Iowa, will take place in early November.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Barbara Louise Walter, Moline child, wins governor's cup in better-baby conference of Rock Island County agricultural and industrial exposition.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- June Haver, the movie star who gave up $3,500 a week for life in a convent, is home today. Severe migraine headaches and a general rundown condition caused what June hopes will only be a temporary break in her studies to become a Roman Catholic Sister of Charity.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Write it down as a peril of the profession. Silvis Police Chief Gary R. Williams said he was socked in the snoot Wednesday by a woman who said the police have been too slow investigating the robbery and assault of her son three days ago. Williams charged her with battery, but dropped the charge about an hour later.
Back: Available days in September 2003