Day in history for September 27, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The enterprising proprietors of the Davenport Gazette have commenced the issue of a tri-weekly paper, the first number of which we are in receipt of. It is a good looking sheet and filled with very readable matter. We wish our neighbors, over the big brook, abundant success in their new enterprise.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Wallace's elegant ice cream parlor is becoming the popular resort of the lovers of that congealed luxury which he manufactures to perfection.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The Tri-City Press Club met in annual session at Watch Tower Inn.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Virgil Anderson, Aledo, was elected president of the Augustana senior class.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Suspected drunken drivers who cringe away from blood test needles seldom have aversion to puffing up toy balloons to prove they're sober. Intoximeters, devices that measure blood alcohol content through human breath, have been used in Rock Island County since July. The intoximeters, says Sheriff Morris E. Muhleman, are the county safety commission's answer to ``needle fright.''
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- A Rock Island man has been charged with stealing a salad valued at $1.04 from a Rock Island restaurant. Police said two men walked out of the Pizza Hut, 4421 11th St., about 8:30 p.m. without paying for a salad. The man was arrested shortly after 9 p.m. at the intersection of 11th St. and 37th Ave.
Back: Available days in September 2003