Day in history for September 15, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The Rock Island city council has appropriated $375 for filling up streets and holes in the levee with stone and gravel.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The fourth quarterly meeting was held in the Fifth Avenue Methodist Church today with the presiding elder in charge.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The missing Rock Island County treasurer was brought back from Victoria, B.C. Canada today. He told an Argus reporter he speculated with the county funds.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Judge Floyd E. Thompson, accompanied by the governor of Louisiana, will speak in Moline and East Moline Oct. 1.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Unable to secure gas heat for the Rock Island city hall for at least another winter, Rock Island councilmen in a post-council session decided to ``worry'' through the cold season with coal instead of a stop-gap oil heating system. It was pointed out the oil heating substitute was proposed as a means of eliminating heavy work on the stoker furnace now in the city hall.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Women on the Barstow Volunteer Fire Department were invited to join the Men's Firemen Association, enabling the women to take full part in discussion of the department's operations. Previously, women were firefighters and auxiliary members, but they did not become active members of the association. There presently are three women on the department.
Back: Available days in September 2003