Day in history for September 10, 2003

1853 -- 150 years ago
The Rock Island-Moline hack schedule: Leave Rock Island House 7:15 and 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Leave Johnson's Hotel, Moline, 8 and 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.

1878 -- 125 years ago
R.R. Cable left for Peoria this morning on the ``Little Josie.''

1903 -- 100 years ago
Members of the Rock Island County Board of Supervisors inspected the county infirmary today.

1928 -- 75 years ago
A report on the first six months of the year today forecast a surplus on the barge line by the year's end.

1953 -- 50 years ago
Florence Radosevich, 922 5th Ave., Moline, was named ``Miss Voice of 1953'' at ceremonies in the Rock Island telephone exchange building. The contest was conducted by the 185 operating personnel of the Rock Island office as part of a training program stressing attentiveness, courtesy, helpfulness, interest and naturalness in handling telephone calls.

1978 -- 25 years ago
A landmark family restaurant in Black Hawk State Park, the Watchtower Inn, most likely will close for good when its lease expires Oct. 31. Darlene Struve signed a 10-year lease for the facility in 1968. State officials say they doubt they will seek lease bids for the lodge restaurant after that. They would rather convert the space in the two-story stone building into a concession stand, meeting rooms, museum space or craft exhibits.

Back: Available days in September 2003



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)