Day in history for September 10, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The Rock Island-Moline hack schedule: Leave Rock Island House 7:15 and 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Leave Johnson's Hotel, Moline, 8 and 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- R.R. Cable left for Peoria this morning on the ``Little Josie.''
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Members of the Rock Island County Board of Supervisors inspected the county infirmary today.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- A report on the first six months of the year today forecast a surplus on the barge line by the year's end.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Florence Radosevich, 922 5th Ave., Moline, was named ``Miss Voice of 1953'' at ceremonies in the Rock Island telephone exchange building. The contest was conducted by the 185 operating personnel of the Rock Island office as part of a training program stressing attentiveness, courtesy, helpfulness, interest and naturalness in handling telephone calls.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- A landmark family restaurant in Black Hawk State Park, the Watchtower Inn, most likely will close for good when its lease expires Oct. 31. Darlene Struve signed a 10-year lease for the facility in 1968. State officials say they doubt they will seek lease bids for the lodge restaurant after that. They would rather convert the space in the two-story stone building into a concession stand, meeting rooms, museum space or craft exhibits.
Back: Available days in September 2003