Day in history for August 5, 2003

1853 -- 150 years ago
During mutiny on board the ship Rockland, sailing from New York to Australia, the passengers helped the officers put the mutineers in irons. One of the passengers was Fred S. Nichols, who founded The Argus two years ago. He is going to Australia to start a newspaper.

1878 -- 125 years ago
Mrs. Susan M. Goldsmith, 77, died today at the residence of her son, the Hon. Bailey Davenport. She came to the island of Rock Island in 1816 and was the last surviving member of the first family to settle here. For five years she saw no other white woman except for her mother. Her closest neighbors were in Chicago and St. Louis.

1903 -- 100 years ago
Employees of the 3rd Avenue Line of the Tri-City Railway Company held their annual picnic at Watch Tower Park today.

1928 -- 75 years ago
The Black Hawk Hiking Club returned today from a 5-state tour covering 1,860 miles.

1953 -- 50 years ago
A plan for cleaning up Rock Island's city dump at the foot of 18th Avenue and Mill Street was outlined today by City Manager Cornelius Bodine.

1978 -- 25 years ago
After spending $18,975 to revamp downtown Rock Island's traffic pattern, city officials already are pondering changes in the plan. Despite extensive planning, the city's first major change in downtown traffic flow in three years has resulted in a snafu at 18th Street and 4th Avenue. The problem occurs where the one-way portion of 18th Street ends.

Back: Available days in August 2003



Local events heading








  Today is Friday, Aug. 22, the 234th day of 2014. There are 131 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: The ferry boat, Rock Island, having been put in good order at the boat yard is now making her regular trips, much to the gratification of those who have to cross the river.
1889 -- 125 years ago: W.J. Gamble, for many years superintendent of the Moline & Rock Island railway, leased the Fourth Avenue Hotel and renovated and refurnished it throughout.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Pending the building of new public schools or additions to the present ones to provide adequate room for all the children, the board of education decided that pupils younger than 6 years old would not be accepted in Rock Island schools.
1939 -- 75 years ago: The fifth annual New Windsor Fair and Horse show, which has been delayed for two days because of unfavorable weather, got off to a new start last night. The parade was held this morning.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The Rock Island County Fair and Rodeo will celebrate its silver anniversary this year. The fair opens Tuesday and will run through Saturday and offers entertainment and activity for young and old.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Earl Hanson School, Rock Island, joins the Program to Assist Latch Key Student, which aids working parents. PALS is a before and after school program for grades 1-6 in certain Rock Island public and private schools.




(More History)